Friday, January 25, 2013

Easy by Tammara Webber

TITLE: Easy
AUTHOR: Tammara Webber
PUBLISHER/YEAR: Berkley Trade/2012
SERIES: No
SOURCE: Purchased 

Goodreads / Author's Website

Oh My God you guys. Why can't every book just be this book? Like seriously, it was fantastic. I'm just, not even writing a coherent review right now, that's how good it was. It was a stay up until 5 AM even though I KNOW I'm going to regret it in the morning, but I just can't put it down because of the ALL THE FEELINGS. Basically, Easy had everything that I wanted in book set at college and more. Okay, let's see if I can gather my thoughts and continue.

I think I liked Easy so much because it reminded me of the actual university experience, not something that can be said for a lot of New Adult novels (God, don't you just hate that term). That's not to say situations weren't heightened for the sake of the novel, there is drama galore. 

Jacqueline is the protagonist in this one. An accomplished musician, she followed her wannabe politician boyfriend to a state school instead of pursuing a conservatory education. Then he dumps her. So she's sad, super mopey, can barely get out of bed; on the one hand I want to slap her on the other, break ups suck. Heightened emotion. Close proximity to the ex. I've seen this one play out in the dorms. So Jacqueline's not in a great place and then she's attacked. 

Easy deals with one very difficult topic, rape. When I first started reading the book I cringed. Even in my house with the doors locked it had my heart racing. It's one of the worst things that can happen and it is still so prevalent, it really is sickening. The book starts out as the protagonist, Jacqueline, is leaving a party and is attacked by a guy she though she knew. Luckily, a stranger jumps in and saves her before she's raped, but sexual assault in any form is pretty damn traumatic. Webber did a really great job dealing with this topic. There's the super supportive best friend, but there's also a lot of slut shaming and blaming going on which sadly too realistic. It was just really well done. 

What else did I like in this novel asides from everything? Lucas, the love interest, was pretty great. He's not the MOST realistic guy, but i loved him so much. Tattoos, bad boy demeanor, heart of gold, secrets, hero saver guy. GAH. I want him to be real. Their relationship was also fantastic. Steamy in parts, but not gratuitously so and it was also pretty damn caring. Erin, the best friend, best roommate I could imagine. Great, supportive friend. I loved their relationship too. Like they were girlfriends who cared about each other, helped each other out, showed support, went to classes. I'm rambling again and I don't even care. 

Basically just GO. Read this book like NOW if you haven't already. Best book I've read so far this year, hands down. 


No comments:

Post a Comment