Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cover Trouble (or Reasons Why I'm Broke)

You guys, I have a problem. It's a cover problem. I can't walk away from a gorgeous cover. Even if I have a physical copy of the book in question, if there's a new pretty cover on it I instantly want to buy it again. Basically I'm some marketing exec's dream. I'm all no please, please, take my money. 

That's what happened with Persuasion recently. Did I need another copy? No. Did I want it? Yes. Seriously, just look at it. It's so pretty. 


Then I opened the book and what falls out? Lo and behold it's an advertisement for more books in Penguin's English Classics series. Obviously, I now want to buy all of them.


I'm just so attracted to the graphic prints and the colours. I can't seem to help myself. Basically it got me thinking about how covers are so key. I've admitted before that I'm pretty much a cover whore. I'll pick up a book just because I love the cover. I mean a great cover is just good advertising no? With the classics especially, there are just so many versions of these books out there. People need incentives to buy this particular copy. Especially if it doesn't have an interesting new forward etc. to draw in readers. I'm also a big fan of analysis. 

So I know this kind of marketing works on me, but what about you? Does a new artwork give you new incentive to purchase a book? Or am I alone on this one? Also, have you heard the news about the new Harry Potter covers?

No comments:

Post a Comment