Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Top Ten Settings I'd Like To See More Of

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish
This Week's Prompt
TOP TEN SETTINGS I'D LIKE TO SEE MORE OF

original image here

I would love to see more books set in the country I live in. We've got a lot going on, but I rarely read about it in fiction. I was going to get all specific with the city I'm from, but I figured, let's just start with something general and take it from there. Also, so many choices. And come on a coffee shop on a rainy Vancouver day is such a cozy setting, there are just so many options. 

original image here
I know there are a few books out there right now set at university. I've read the debates about New Adult and I've just started reading Easy. BUT I haven't ready any books set in a university yet and I haven't read about a lot that really appeal to me. I'd love to read more about this stage. 


I love the theatre. Love it. I spend most of my life in one. I never read about books set backstage and the few that I have come across are centered on actors or dancers. Where's the crew, the stage management, the designers? There is so much going on backstage; I'd love to read about a technician for a change. 

original image here

I kind of just want to read about a Gilmore Girls, Stars Hollow-ish town with all the crazy characters and light story lines. Is that so wrong? 

original photo here

I read and loved The Snow Child a few months ago. It was set in Alaska when it was first being settled and it had me wanting to read more. It was such a different setting from everything else I've read. The cabin, the long winter nights, the distant neighbours, I loved it all. I'd love to read more about either Alaska or the Yukon, Northwest Territories or Nunavut in any time period. 

original photo here

I am obsessed with politics and newspapers and pretty much the news in all forms. I want to read a book set in a newsroom. Essentially, I'm picturing Cary Grant and Rosalind Russel in His Girl Friday here. 

original photo found here

The forest seems to have this mystical quality to me. There's the light seeping through the trees, the green glow, the smell, but there's also this inherent danger. I love the contrast and it's just such a great setting for a variety of genres. 

original photo found here

La révolution tranquille was such a controversial and tumultuous time in Canadian history. It's a fascinating era and while I've read plenty of québecois books set in 1960s québec I've yet to come across an Anglophone book. 

original photo found here

There is nowhere better to sit with a book than a cozy, little coffee shop. I love them. I can't get enough of them. Can I please read more books that have a massive amount of charm and coffee?

original photo here

This one's kind of cheating since it's not really a setting, but I love love love time travel. A character who can go to multiple settings and multiple time periods, from colonial times,to the 50s, to 1980s rock concerts to the future? I want to read about them ALL.

5 comments:

  1. Loving your "theatre" category. There are many, many stories about actors; I agree it would be nice to read a story about a designer or technician. Let me know if you find one. :)

    Here's my TTT for the week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could give you a recommendation right now. The sad thing is I can't think of a single novel.

      Delete
  2. We have 3 and 4 in common! New follower because great minds think alike! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding things in common with other book bloggers! Thanks for following.

      Delete
  3. I agree with #3, I would definitely love to read more books that take place at universities!

    Here's my TTT @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete