Monday, March 25, 2013

Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish
THIS WEEK'S PROMPT IS TOP TEN BOOKS I RECOMMEND THE MOST

1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Once again, Pride and Prejudice tops the list. Need I explain it at this point? It's my go to book for everything and everyone. Regardless. ( Goodreads )

2. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
This was my absolute favourite book from last year. It was so. good. I actually want to re-read this one myself after falling in love with the family next door. It's just a great book to read when you need a pick me up and who doesn't need one of those every now and again. ( Goodreads )

3. Easy by Tammara Webber
This is the latest book I've been recommending to absolutely everyone. So it may not have the most realistic love interest, but it's a romance I can get behind and well some really difficult topics are handled really well (in my opinion). I really think more books should be written in this vein. ( Goodreads )

4. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
I loved this story so much when I read it. It's slow, but the characters drew me in and their emotional struggles tugged on my heartstrings. This story about an older, childless couple living in the Alaskan wilderness in the 20s kind of turned me to mush. I just wanted everybody to be happy. I went out and bought this one for everybody I know at Christmas. ( Goodreads )

5. Just Kids by Patti Smith
Smith's book chronicling her relationships with Robert Maplethorp was one of the best memoirs I've read. She's a charming writing, I love her stories and her relationship with Maplethorp was just so touching. And I just love reading about young artists struggling together. ( Goodreads )

6. The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton
The Outsiders is a classic for a reason. I swear it's one of the quintessential coming of age stories and I really think everybody should read about the greasers and the socs. ( Goodreads ) 

7. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
This is some crazy good historical fiction. Again, it's not a thriller, it's a slower paced book, but the story drew me in. The mystery-ish, the historical details, I loved it all. ( Goodreads ) 

8. Every Secret Thing by Susanna Kearsley
The first Susanna Kearsley novel I read and now I can't get enough mysteries combined with historical fiction. Seriously, it's combining my two first literary loves and Kearsley does it so well in nearly every novel she writes. ( Goodreads ) 

9. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
I followed up Susanna Kearsley with Kate Morton for obvious reasons. The combination of mystery and historical fiction gets me every. single. time and The House at Riverton just happens to be my favourite of Kate Morton's novels (it has a dead poet. it can't be beaten). ( Goodreads )

10. A Trip to the Stars by Nicholas Christopher
Magical realism will always have a place in my heart because of A Trip to the Stars. It's super literary and references a million and one things, but I love it. I love following these characters and they travel the world under some pretty interesting and at times tragic circumstances. This book is the reason Naxos has been at the top of my must visit immediately list since high school. ( Goodreads ) 

7 comments:

  1. The Outsiders almost made my list too! Everyone should definitely read it :) I really want to read Easy because I have yet to really read a NA that I like... and that one seems like it's always getting good reviews. I need to get that genre redeemed in my head because I know it has great potential, I just need to find the right book!

    Thanks for stopping by My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy is pretty much the only NA book that I've liked. I keep hoping the rest will take tips, but I've been disappointed so far.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these books, shamefully! Especially the Outsiders.

    New Follower <3!
    Beth | The Reading Vixens [Formerly YA Vixens]
    The Reading Vixens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read Code Name Verity! :) Thanks for stopping by my TTT list!

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list, I had a lot of the same ones on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh great picks! I need to read Code Name Verity! I am a big fan of Easy!!

    My TTT

    Eva @ All Books Considered

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES to Code Name Verity! Definitely my most recommended book last year. :D

    ReplyDelete