Friday, April 26, 2013

On Reading Out of Your Comfort Zone

Confession time everybody, I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to trying new things books wise. Life wise, I'm fine, move four times in a year sure why not? Switch jobs more than I can count. Obviously! Who needs stability right? But when it comes to books. Well, I have my tried and true authors and genres and I tend to stick to them.

So why is this all coming to a head now? You see, I requested a book on netgalley to try to break me out of these comfort zones because I'm prettty sure that was one of my reading goals at the beginning of the year. So far this year I've stuck to the typical fare and I was really hoping I would read this book and be like yes. I was crazy. I'm totally open to new things. Unfortunately it didn't quite work out that way and I'm questioning the way I pick my books.

Like, I used to love literary novels. The more references to other books the better. Quirky protagonists drew me in. Short stories were no big deal, they could be super moving. But now, I feel like I'm stuck in this genre rut and it's definitely not what's best for me or my ability to think analytically. I'm reading these sentences and thinking my god the repetition. The repetition. Why so much repetition. Why are the things that I used to like driving me nuts in this book? Or is it just that I don't like this particular book. I mean clearly I'm going to have to read some things by other authors in this genre to figure it out. It's just... frustrating?

Do any of you guys know what I'm talking about? Do you ever feel like you need to break away from the norm and read something different? Do you LIKE it when you do? Do you purposefully set out to read things out of your comfort zone or books that intimidate you a little? Basically, am I the only one like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment