Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Top Ten Beach Reads

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish

THIS WEEK'S PROMPT IS TOP TEN BEACH READS

1. What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen
I mean really anything by Sarah Dessen would probably fit this bill, but I just read What Happened to Goodbye and loved it. It wasn't too light, but it wasn't a book that I immediately forgot about either. I mean basically it had characters I was invested in and a plot that wouldn't totally make me cry while in public. Seriously, that's a factor.

2. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
I love that this book involves travel which is kind of key in beach reads for me. Again, it's a book I really enjoyed, but it wasn't so heavy that I needed to be able to COMPLETELY FOCUS on the pages in front of me. I tried to read Anna Karenina at the beach one year, bad news.

3. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Seriously, the perfect beach read. I was so invested in the characters and a year later I'm still thinking about how perfect it was to sit on my front stoop in the sun reading this book.

4. Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols
I didn't love this book when I first read it. I think I was just looking for a different book at the time, but I think it's the kind of book that I could take to the beach and totally enjoy. Yes the characters have their issues and well I still won't be the biggest fan of the love interest here, but I'm always more forgiving at the beach.

5. Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
This book has some characters with some dark, dark issues. It totally hooked me last summer. I have to tell you, I tend to get kind of drawn into some bad places when I relate to characters like these too much so taking them to the beach is a good compromise. Plus, I mean I can always take a break if things get to heavy right?

6. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Totally fun, totally swoon worthy. I just kind of love everything about this book. Enough said.

7. Just Kids by Patti Smith
This book is at times heartbreaking at times uplifting, but so good. It's such a touching look into Patti Smith's lifelong friendship with Robert Maplethorp. It's a great read anywhere, but autobiographies just have a special place for me in the summer.

8. Life by Keith Richards
So here's another celebrity autobiography, this one is .... a little different. I mean it's Keith Richards do the math. But it's fun to read, super interesting and I could totally see myself reading this one at the beach, despite it's size.

9. Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick by Joe Schreiber
Movie in book form. Mindless. Super fun.

10. Strangelets by Michelle Gagnon
This one was a total page turner and I never felt super invested in anybody, but I'm okay with that at the beach. It's like half thriller half sci-fi and it was kind of like mind candy, so where else would I recommend reading it.

6 comments:

  1. Great list!! I'm just about to read Such a Rush and now i'm nervous to read it.
    Old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/06/top-ten-tuesday-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your list!! I totally agree w/ Pushing the Limits, Anna and the French Kiss, Statistical Prob, My Life Next Door, and anything Sarah Dessen. All great for the beach :) I would also love to read Keith Richard's book at the beach. It just sounds like something I could get into for the week.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Anna And The French Kiss, Such A Rush and My Life Next Door. I definitely need to read The Statistical Probability of Falling In Love At Firs Sight. Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great list! All of these sound like perfect beach reads. Especially Sarah Dessen. I haven't read any of her books yet, so I seriously need to start reading them this summer!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read numbers 2-5 on your list but just haven't gotten around to it yet. And I can see how Keith Richards' autobiography would be an interesting read...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I've seen Anna and the french kiss on so many of the TTT posts! Will have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete