Thursday, December 18, 2014

Let's Talk Film: The Muppet Christmas Carol

So I hope by now I've made it pretty clear that I love the holidays. Holiday books, baking and especially holiday movies. I will watch almost anything if it has Christmas in the title. You know all those Hallmark channel, sugary sweet, 60 minutes of pure schlock? Love it. However, just because I don't necessarily have discerning tastes when it comes to this kind of thing, it doesn't mean that I don't have favourites. My particular favourite, a classic really in my mind, is The Muppet Christmas Carol.

There have been so many takes on Charles Dickens' classic story, but the muppet version will always hold a special place in my heart and yes I do re-watch it every year.There's something about having the muppets tell the tale that makes it a little more joyous. Gonzo the Great plays Ebeneezer Scrooge and Kermit the Frog is Bob Cratchit and of course Michael Caine as Scrooge. What more could a child ask for? I feel like I don't need to summarize the story and I'll go out on a limb and assume you all know it and I think for a film aimed at children, this adaptation stays relatively close to the original. You know, with puppets and additional music.

Are there any holiday movies that hold a special place in your heart? Have you seen this one?

I'll leave you now with a clip from the film, or one of the saddest songs ever.



No comments:

Post a Comment